History of the Institute
Foundation and construction of the machine laboratory. In 1898 construction of the building next to boiler house (built in 1891) begins. The first director leader of the machine laboratory is Professor Hugo Junkers. Teaching activities commence in 1899.
Extension of the building to the southwest is completed to accommodate the Sprinkler laboratory and university's power plant, which supplies electricity to the university from autumn 1909 onwards.
Resignation of Professor Hugo Junkers, who is succeeded by Professor Paul Langer, with subjects being taught in the following areas: heat engineering, machine laboratory, internal combustion engines / motor vehicles, steam turbines and turbo compressors.
Professor Hermann Bonin is appointed and assumes responsibility for teaching in the following subjects: steam engines, work machines, steam boilers plus ventilation and heating, and from 1919 steam turbines; Professor Hans Jaeger is appointed to take on responsibility for teaching activities in the field of hydraulic engines and rotary pumps.
Reconstruction and extension of the machine laboratory to form a more homogenous facility with a large machine hall, construction of a new power and heating plant for the university.
The Institute of Turbomachinery is re-established with Professor Karl Leist appointed on October 1st, 1948 to take responsibility for teaching in the following subjects: steam turbines, gas turbines, turbo compressors, turbo pumps, piston steam engines and aircraft circulator turbines.
Reconstruction and extension of the institute's building, with the addition of new floors and renovated facade.
Reconstruction of the north-eastern section of the institute and construction of the test rig for jet engines.
Professor Wilhelm Dettmering succeeds Professor Karl Leist after his death (May 10th, 1960) and is appointed to the head of the Institute of Turbomachinery.
The Institute of Turbomachinery is divided into two separate fields: the Institute of Steam and Gas Turbines (Professor Günter Dibelius) and the Institute of Jet Propulsion and Turbomachinery (Professor Wilhelm Dettmering), with a corresponding division in the teaching subjects.
Completion of reconstruction work in the testing hall (the work, starting in 1963, with the planning, excavation and extension of the basement, new foundations, renewal of crane system, seminar room).
Professor Otto David is appointed to the vacant chair of the Institute of Jet Propulsion and Turbomachinery and becomes head of the institute.
Professor Heinz E. Gallus succeeds Professor Otto David after his death (July 4th, 1982). He is appointed to the vacant chair of the Institute of Jet Propulsion and Turbomachinery on November 21st, 1982. After his retirement (February 29th, 1996) he continues as acting head of the institute.
The 4th symposium "Unsteady Aerodynamics and Aeroelasticity of Turbomachines and Propellers" , September 6th - 10th in Aachen (Eurogress), under the coordination of Professor Heinz E. Gallus.
Professor Reinhard Niehuis succeeds Professor Heinz E. Gallus and takes charge of the Institute of Jet Propulsion and Turbomachinery on September 1st, 1998.
Professor Peter Jeschke succeeds Professor Reinhard Niehuis and takes charge of the Institute of Jet Propulsion and Turbomachinery on June 1st, 2007.
Renaming of the IST into "Institute of Jet Propulsion and Turbomachinery".